15 February 2010

Tombstone Tuesday -- my grandmother's grandmother


          Walnut Hill cemetery, Hamilton Township, Franklin Co., Ohio
Elizabeth Jane (Rathmell) Rees, born 11 Sept 1829 near Groveport, Franklin Co., Ohio, the daughter of Thomas Rathmell and Mary Smith. She married Benjamin Leonard Rees on 14 April 1853 in Franklin Co.
They had three daughters--one, Ida May Rees married Charles Eber Arnold -- my grandmother Grace (Arnold) Cresap's parents. So...Elizabeth was my grandmother Pi's grandmother. Elizabeth died at age 30 leaving three small girls who were eventually raised by a loved stepmother, Sarah (Glick) Rees, who had six children with Benjamin L. Rees. Below is a picture of Ida May Rees with three of her half sibs.
front left, Ida May Rees (Pi's mother-b. 24 May 1855)); right, Florence (unknown); rear left are three of Ida May's half sisters, Alice, Grace, and  Edith Rees; Ohio -- tintype -- c.?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments section. However I will exercise my right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive, childish or just plain outstandingly dumb.